Thursday, September 23, 2010

The World at Your Fingertips


http://www.flickr.com/
"World at your Fingertips"
 Blogs? What's the purpose? How can they be relevant to me? I don't have time for blogs. These were questions and thoughts I had before enrolling in Dr. Zeitz's Emerging Instructional Technology course in August 2010. Since August, I have opened my mind to the endless possibilities that social media and Web 2.0 tools offer for educators. For the past few weeks, I have been following six blogs, David Warlick, Scott McLeod, Angela MaiersDavid Ginsburg, Dr. Z's, who all focus their blogs on educational issues, concerns, and technological advances.

It is very interesting the wealth of knowledge I gained through others just by following their blogs. I was able to watch relevant videos and read about practical applications. I am currently very interested in educational video games, virtual reality, 21st Century skills, and any other educational tips I can pass on to the pre-service educators who I teach. Many of the blogs I follow address these topics of interest.

Some of my favorite blogs included using classroom simulations to teach pre-service educators, unwritten rules, and Alfie Kohn and The Office. I am beginning to realize that blogs have so much more to offer than what I had ever anticipated. I am beginning to see just how much education can be changed and instruction enhanced through the use of technology. A recent article from The New York Times illustrates the potential that technology, specifically educational video games, have in motivating reluctant learners to want to learn.

I am amazed at the variety of resources I have found through blogs. It has definitely changed my perspective. Are blogs helping you put the world at your fingertips?

7 comments:

  1. Billie,

    Sounds like you are following some interesting blogs. I followed your links to Ginsberg and Quillen blogs which I found to be quite interesting. In fact, one of the postings on the Quillen/Education Week blog prompted me to write another posting that will appear on Tuesday.

    It is exciting to hear that you are finding value in your blog reading. It is fun to see what others are saying.

    I would have liked to have heard more about some of the specifics you found on these blogs but hopefully you will reflect on some of them in the future.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billie,

    I had the same feelings about blogging before this class. However, I also have discovered that blogs are a great way to learn about valuable information. The aspect of blogging that keeps me engaged is that every blog is sharing different ideas. Even when two people are blogging about the same thing they never quite have the same perspective. I also agree that the resources are very beneficial. When I see a link I automatically click it without thinking and usually it is something that I find very interesting. I think blogging is a great way to spark student inquiry without them knowing it's happening.

    Jarod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billie,

    I find blogging to be a bit overwhelming but if you can find good blogs that are in your interest area or related to your profession they can be very inspiring and give you a whole new way of looking at different issues. I really enjoyed looking at the blogs you have been following. They seem like they have lots of useful information.

    Mikael

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also was thinking that I wasn't so sure about blogging.I have tried to a few times in the past, but haven't done so well with it. This semester, however, I am finding it to be a very interesting experience. I think I am growing and finally realizing what a great resource they can be. I too watched the video on doing the teaching simulations in the classroom with preservice teachers. That was an amazing video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Alfie Kohn/Office clip certainly got my attention. However, I think it fell flat in its explanation of the detriments to extrinsic motivation. In addition, it only briefly mentioned intrinsic motivation as an alternative. While I realize that the goal of blogs is perhaps only to get you thinking about the external clip/media/link; does the blogger who posted it not have the responsibility to provide full context and explanation? Or it is a stylstic choice in which the blogger can put the responsiblity on the reader? You personally, did a fine job of contextualizing your content, but not all bloggers do. This is a way to analyze your own blog's purpose and goals.
    Great insight,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Billie,

    I felt the same way was you when I first starting using my blog. I did not know what purpose it would be for and how useful it would be. But after reading through some of the blogs you found interesting and other students, I found blogs to be very useful in helping teachers everywhere share information. I find it amazing that I can read about things others found interesting and be able to use it in my teaching.

    I love your background by the way! I am a major book nerd! :)

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting as much as it is informative Billie. You have brought forward another dynamic that is inseparable to Education. As long as we strive to better ourselves in the 21 century class, and if this vital group is not considered, it would be very unfair. Actually, this is the group that direly needs this technology to perform at per with the rest of the normal students.

    ReplyDelete