Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Experience as an Expert Advisor


http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=virtual+communication&m=text#page=7

Recently, I have had the opportunity to sign up to be an expert advisor for a Flat Classroom Project. So far, I have created my own ning and choose to be the expert advisor for a group of students who are exploring Virtual Communication. Today I was able to read the research, look at the links, and watch the videos students in this group have posted. I found it to be very interesting. I also saw myself wanting to read more about each topic of virtual communication. I made notes as I read such as: Could you link this to a resource? What are examples of teachers using virtual communication in their classrooms? Could the use of avatars meeting in a virtual world support your section?

 Once I read through the wiki, I found the students who were in charge of each section. I created a new post in the discussion tab for each group. I was able to offer articles, websites, and other suggestions to each group that will hopefully make their sections stronger.

To be honest, I was a little leery starting this project and getting involved as an expert advisor. After reading and posting suggestions, I really enjoyed it. I felt like I was contributing valuable information to the groups that would help them accomplish their goal for their sections. I am excited to see if they used any of my suggestions to make their wiki stronger.

I am interested to know your experience with The Flat Classroom Project if you have had one or your thoughts on the project. Do you think it will lead to move student engagement, motivation, and academic success?

1 comment:

  1. Billie,

    Great post about the Flat Classroom Project. To be honest I have been a little confused about what we were exactly supposed to do. Your post kind of put things into perspective for me. Also feeling nervous about being termed "expert" advisor. Hopefully things turn out great.

    Jarod Mozer

    ReplyDelete